Filtering Features to Look For:
- Multi-user profiles - different settings can be made for different users
- Categories to block - blocks specific types of sites
- Scheduling - when computer can access the internet during the day
- Exclusion List - or "Black List", specific sites that are blocked
- White List - all sites blocked except the listed sites
- Program blocking - can block Chat and Instant Messaging programs
- Online predator protection for social networking sites (for children)
- Cannot turn off protection software without being reported
- Uninstall protection - will not allow user to uninstall protection software (only administrator can)
- Reporting - one or more person selected (accountability partners) to receive notification whenever the user accesses questionable material online
- Notifications to Accountability partner via email
- Notifications to Accounatbility partner via phone text message
- Accountability Partner can log in online to see all internet activity
- Remote administration of users computer by Accountability Partner
There are ways to work around most safety solutions for those who are very techno-saavy.
If a person wants recovery but is easily able to work around other safety measures, then there is no real solution without either getting rid of their computer or giving the computer password to someone who will sit with them at all times when they are online.
There is no shame in needing this kind of help! Recovery is ultimately more important than the inconvenience of not having easy access to the Internet.
Newer operating systems can do most Internet safety measures except sending accountability reporting for free.
Net Responsibility is open source software for accountability on Linux systems. Allows you to set up accountability partners to be notified of inappropriate websites you visit.